Monday, August 12, 2013

I've been reading a story about a young woman with downs syndrome named Jenny Hatch and her mother wanted her to live in a group home but she wanted to live in the community with her friends.  It took a year for her to win her battle in court. In the group home they took away her cell phone, her computer and they would not let her use the house phone. She was not allowed to leave the house, she was not allowed to see her friends at the thrift store where she used to work. She only got to see them once, after the visit the group home said she had behaviors and she couldn't have any visitors after that.. This could be me if this was California, but I do get to use the phone, I do get to go to work every day, but for the lack of freedom it's just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment